Sunday, January 19, 2014

Our Healthy and Frugal Ice Cream

My kids love ice cream (who doesn't?).  However, its not exactly cheap or completely healthy.  So my kids love to help me make Banana Swirl (which is what my kids call it after they saw it on an episode of Daniel Tiger's neighborhood).  

It starts with some frozen bananas.  Whenever I buy bananas at the store, they always manage to get a bit more ripe than my kids like for eating before we eat them all.  Those bananas that are starting to get lots of brown spots on the peel, I peel and throw in a container in the freezer.  When I want to make some banana swirl, I just pull out the container and throw them in the blender with a few more ingredients.  Below is our favorite recipe for Banana Swirl:

some frozen overripe bananas (as many as you would like)
about a 1/2 cup of milk (can be adjusted for the number of bananas and other ingredients you are using)
a few squirts of chocolate syrup

Add all the ingredients to the blender.  Blend until desired consistency is reached.  I usually end up with a consistency of a Wendy's frosty which is perfect!  Then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment